Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gems of A One Day Stopover


Jodphur - The Blue City
Left Mumbai earlier today at 10am. I decided to treat myself and spend the last night there at a 4 star hotel. Of course as it turned out, while nice to look at, the cheaper hotel proved better. More helpful, better locale, and wifi that actually worked at 8 times a lower price. Slumming is good, apparently.

So I took my first Indian flight today as well, from Mumbai - Jodphur. At the comedy show the night before they slammed Air India, the company I was flying with, and I really didnt know what to expect. Again, maybe because I live in Vietnam and I'm used to poor service, I was actually impressed by how good they were. Nice, comfy seats, an inflight meal for a 2 hour flight, constant attention from the air hosts...it puts other budget airlines like Airasia to shame!

After the very short flight, I got to Jodphur around 2pm. I arrived at my hotel, the blue house, I which is a lovely B - B (Bed no Breakfast). The hotel is run by the Jain family and their mission is to make you feel like your staying at their home and not a hotel. Mission accomplished. They were so helpful and friendly and it was a joy to stay there.Now Jodphur wasn't even in my original plan, and was intended to be a rest day in the hotel, but I decided to book a tour thru the guest house and see the major sites. Wise decision.

Jodphur is exactly the kind of place you want to see when you go on a holiday. It's a walled city overshadowed by a giant fortress on the far hill, and a small, but still huge palace on the right. The whole city is walled, with a lot of the houses built into those walls. Streets are about 2 meters wide, barely enough for the auto rickshaw I was taking on the tour, and certainly too small when cows, people, or carts blocked the wall. The general vibe of the city was just "exotic", and I could certainly see it being a place where some word blocked writer might go for inspiration.


You get walk up there!....Yay?

My driver, a nice guy who spoke basic English in a very thick Hindi accent, took me first to Merangarh Fort. A giant fortress that served as the Maharajah first home and is built on top of a mountain. The fort was fantastic, and again, you really get that old world India feel as your walking through the rooms. Of course being on a mountain, you can expect a lot of uphill climbing, with no steps either. Just steep uphill incline = me tired.



After that, we went across the way to Jaswant Thada, a cenotaph or small temple made of stone. After all the hecticness of my first three days it was strange to be in this lakeside temple in absolute quiet. Very refreshing.


I'd have been more impressed if they'd let me see more than 2 rooms

From there the last place we went was Ra Ka Bag Palace, the last palace built here. Today, the palace has become a super exclusive hotel, so only a fraction of it has been opened to the general public. Because of that, I was a bit underwhelmed here. Only a small wing was open, and while the Maharaj who built and lived here had an impressive life - it couldn't compare with the places I'd just been.

After we finished the palace, it was getting late, but like any good tour guide, the tour couldn't be completed without a trip to the local markets. I managed to get away from the tailors shop, but wasn't as lucky with the handicrafts shop, and ended up buying a few things that I now regret having to carry for the rest of my trip.

The last stop on the tour made the shopping worthwhile, as I was taken to a local Spice Shop - one that Gordon Ramesay had visited when he came to India last year. That was a lot of fun, as the owner took me through all the spices and teas they made, as well as giving me samples. I kind of let myself go here, and bought a lot including a tea that's supposed to be good for hangovers!

Finally it was getting dark, so we headed back to the guest house where, before going in, I gave the driver a tip of 100 rupees for the trip ( about 2 USD). With a five am wake up for my bus to Jaisalmer, there's not much else I can do except for sleep. Yeah, one stereotype that definitely isn't true of India? It's extremely cold. I'm hunkered down under a very heavy blanket and am still cold. I can't believe it; I thought Canadians were immuned to this!

Tomorrow morning: Jaisalmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment